The world premiere of experimental, soundtrack-driven sci-fi Assimilation
will take place at the 2019 Philip K. Dick Science Fiction Film Festival
, to be held in New York this week, on March 6th and 9th. Filmed in Derry and Donegal and produced by Scalp Mountain Productions, Assimilation
marks the feature debut both for Irish writer/director John Norby and star Ashling Vieira.
In the near future, exponential growth in technology creates an apocalyptic event of cosmic origins that finds Earth seemingly devoid of all sentient life. Assimilation depicts the stages leading up to that event and follows the journey of a lone survivor on her quest to reconnect with life: to discover what lies beyond.
Where are we headed, this human race, and what is our fate after Earth? The clues are there to be discovered; it’s all about knowing where to look.
What will you see?
Presented without dialogue, Assimilation features an immersive, darkly atmospheric soundtrack by some of the most respected dark ambient artists from around the world. The film strives through its ‘sight and sound’ approach to captivate its audience and transport them into the post-apocalyptic world it portrays, allowing them to explore it intimately as the experience unfolds.
The production of Assimilation was unique in that the soundtrack was in place before shooting began, indicating the importance of the music and its intricate relationship with the action in driving the story. The soundtrack features music by Lamia Vox, Sistrenatus, Red Harvest, Phelios, Virus, Triangular Ascension, Dahlia’s Tear, Øysnsasid, Christopher Norby, Posthum, Endvra, Necro Deathmort, O Yuki Conjugate, Zoät-Aon, and The Axis Of Perdition. Put together they provide an ethereal cinematic experience that reveals the profound and chilling story of Assimilation.
will play at The Producer’s Club, 358 West 44th Street, New York, on Saturday, March 9. Screening time is 9pm. Q&A with director John Norby
after the show.
Tickets and info available from www.thephilipkdickfilmfestival.com
- January 21, 2013 Digital Biscuit kicks off on Thursday
- July 11, 2013 Irish Film at the Galway Film Fleadh: On The Box preview
- September 11, 2013 IFI Ireland on Sunday Interview: Paula Kehoe, director/producer of ‘An Dubh ina Gheal’ (‘Assimilation’)
- January 22, 2013 ‘Small Time’ takes Audience Award at Seattle’s Science Fiction + Fantasy Short Film Festival Seattle
- January 23, 2013 7th Guth Gafa International Documentary Film Festival finds new home in Malin, Co. Donegal
- January 23, 2013 Call For: Assistant Professor in Screenwriting – Trinity College
- January 23, 2013 Digital Biscuit: ‘Side by Side’ screening and Live Talk: The Digital Direction
- January 21, 2013 ‘Derelict’ set for US premiere at Chicago Irish Film Festival
- December 27, 2012 Digital Biscuit in January
- January 29, 2013 JDIFF 2013: Story Campus DAY TWO Sunday, Feb 17th