(L to R) Actors Paul and Anna Nugent, Composer Marketa Irglova and writer Seamus Scanlon at Irish Screen America Dublin launch
The Long Wet Grass film started as a prize-winning flash fiction piece (2011 Fish Anthology) written by Seamus Scanlon and then went on to become an award-winning one-act play (as part of The McGowan Trilogy). It is now a short film with original music composed by Academy Award winner Marketa Irglova (Once). The film is set in County Mayo and was shot there in late 2016.
The Long Wet Grass is based on the short story by Galway-born, New York-based writer Seamus Scanlon, and tells the story of a troubled paramilitary who kidnaps a woman who has broken the rules and has taken her to a remote lakeside for possible execution … only it is his childhood sweetheart, and the pull of their love and history wrestles with the push of violence.
Seamus is the co-producer with Anna Olson Nugent, who also stars in the film and was in the original US and UK stage productions. Paul Nugent stars opposite Anna in the play and the film. Seamus recruited Justin Davey as director and Galway-based Lakshika Serasinhe after he saw their work on Linda Bhreathnach’s Adulting in the 2016 Galway Film Fleadh. Fintan Geraghty came on board as sound engineer.
Marketa Irglova (Academy Award winner for best song in the film Once) wrote the music. After she read the original flash fiction piece, the play and the film script she came on board and as well as the score she wrote three new songs for the film.
- January 22, 2013 ‘Small Time’ takes Audience Award at Seattle’s Science Fiction + Fantasy Short Film Festival Seattle
- January 29, 2013 Irish Short Wins Best Comedy award at 2012 Vacaville International Film Festival
- January 23, 2013 Irish Folk Furniture, directed by Tony Donoghue, wins prize for Best Animation at Sundance Film Festival.
- January 23, 2013 Shooting Wraps on ‘The Last Fare’
- January 22, 2013 Watch ‘Irish Folk Furniture’ – A film by Tony Donoghue
- February 7, 2013 IFTA Announce Guest Presenters & Special Musical Performance
- January 24, 2013 Call For: Entries for Encounters Short Film and Animation Festival
- January 24, 2013 ‘Mrs Brown’s Boys’ & Colin Morgan Win at National Television Awards
- January 24, 2013 ‘Earthbound’ set for Cinema Release
- January 24, 2013 ‘Henry Hugglemonster’ shortlisted for International Emmy