Wayne Byrne’s book The Cinema of Tom DiCillo: Include Me Out is published on Tuesday, September 5th, by Columbia University Press and Wallflower Press. The volume considers for the first time in a single collection the acclaimed, award-winning director’s entire oeuvre, addressing and analysing themes such as identity, family, and masculinity, supported by in-depth coverage of the generic and aesthetic aspects of DiCillo’s distinctive and influential film style.
Tom DiCillo & Brad Pitt
Peter Dinklage & Steve Buscemi in Living in Oblivion
Wayne Byrne says, “This book is the result of my passion for DiCillo’s work and because I felt he deserved greater critical recognition than that which has been afforded to him. He is fiercely underrated. DiCillo’s films introduced me to all the possibilities of cinema, and with this book I hoped to capture on paper what captivated me about his work. I also feel the story of his career holds valuable lessons for any aspiring filmmakers. The book is a serious study and analysis of his work, in terms of the craft and aesthetics of the films, but it’s also an entertaining peek inside the film industry.”
The book contains exclusive interviews with DiCillo and many of his collaborators, including Sam Rockwell, John Turturro, Peter Dinklage, Steve Buscemi, Catherine Keener, Chris Noth, Gina Gershon, Maxwell Caulfield, Matthew Modine, as well as Robby Krieger and John Densmore of The Doors, and many others.
Steve Buscemi provides the book’s foreword.
- January 18, 2019 Legendary Hollywood Cinematographer Coming to Ireland
- March 8, 2016 Profile: Tom DiCillo
- December 13, 2019 Wayne Byrne, Author of ‘Burt Reynolds on Screen’
- December 23, 2019 ‘The Wild Bunch’ at 50
- July 30, 2014 The Black and Blue Orkestre – Hurt Me Tender: A Profile
- September 15, 2014 Thirty Years of Paradise: Eszter Balint in Conversation
- September 14, 2018 Burt Reynolds
- January 21, 2013 ‘Derelict’ set for US premiere at Chicago Irish Film Festival
- January 22, 2013 Actors Killian Scott and Kelly Campbell launch programme for the 2013 Jameson Dublin International Film Festival
- January 23, 2013 JDIFF 2013: Guests and Screenings Confirmed