RTÉ Television has a vacancy for a number of experienced Make-Up Artists to cover maternity-related leave to work across the full range of television programmes from Drama, Entertainment, Young Peoples, News and Current Affairs.
It is proposed to form a panel from this competition from which future vacancies as Make-Up Artists, should they arise, may be filled.
Reporting to the Planning and Resource Manager, the successful post holders will be responsible for the following:
– Apply make-up and style hair within an allotted timeframe to enhance and/or alter the appearance of people appearing in productions
– Alter or maintain make-up and hair on a production set as necessary to compensate for lighting changes and to achieve continuity of effect in fast turnaround situations
– Analyse a drama script, noting events that affect each character’s appearance so that plans can be made for each scene
– Study scripts to ascertain the materials and the look required, identifying areas where research is required and any budget implications
– Ensure continuity on a drama production in hair and/or make-up by maintaining accurate and concise continuity notes and by following other make-up artists continuity notes
– Interpret the visual requirements of a client from a producer’s brief
– Develop and design new ideas for hair styling and makeup application and communicate these effectively with clients
– Maintain up to date knowledge of available make-up, hair and beauty products and apply new knowledge to the job
– Assess performers’ skin-type to ensure that make-up will not cause skin irritations or issues
– Clean and maintain tools, workplaces, launder towels and gowns and have a full awareness of health and safety requirements
A third level Make-Up Artist qualification from a recognised college/school is desirable for interested applicants. In addition the ideal candidate should possess the following:
– Significant experience working in a similar capacity in TV and/or Film in the role of a make-up artist is essential and hair styling experience would be a distinct advantage
– An understanding and experience of make-up for screen and the impact of studio lights and HD on its appearance and rendering on screen
– A thorough knowledge of the television production process and the ability to understand script breakdown and continuity notes
– The skill to apply make-up to a professional standard within tight deadlines and in pressurised and unpredictable situations
– An ability to think creatively and develop and design new applications, looks and styles and achieve specific colour effects as required
– Aptitude to communicate with producers and to understand and visually interpret all aspects of the make-up brief
– The ability to work on their own initiative or as part of a busy team and to develop constructive and co-operative working relationships
– A full understanding of the chain of command in a studio system and an ability to communicate and receive instruction effectively in this environment
It is a requirement of the role to be able to work irregular hours with a 7 day liability and flexibility is also essential. This role involves working within TV Studio and location filming.
The salary range for this position is €32,986 to €47,215 gross p.a. and contract will be offered on a fixed purpose basis to cover maternity related leave. It is proposed that a panel for possible future vacancies will also be formed from this competition.
Applicants are invited to submit Curriculum Vitae and cover letter outlining their suitability for the position – both must be attached as one document via the online recruitment system. A practical assessment may also form part of the selection process.
Closing date of applications: 5pm, Monday 16th November 2015.
Click here to apply for this job.