A Nightingale Falling
Garret Daly shares some advice for directing your first short.
1. Make sure you are true to the short story form.
Don’t make pilots or condensed versions of bigger stories. We’ve all done it from time to time, but the best shorts are those that embrace the format and deliver an effective short story.
2. Prepare for battle.
All filmmaking brings with it the challenges of production. As a director be clear and prepared in your own head. That way when those challenges arise, you can deal with them in a controlled manner.
3. Find a good team.
People you can trust. People that inspire you.
4. Rehearsals are a very important.
It’s cheaper than actual production and it’s a great way for cast and sometimes crew to break the ice before the meter starts to run fully on the production budget.
5. Enjoy what you are doing.
Be an inspiring leader and people will trust you and respond to you. Then that creative spark you are searching for will follow.
Garret Daly is a director/producer who runs the media production company Mixed Bag Media.
Originally from county Meath, Garret has been working in media for over 20 years. Having graduated from the University of Sunderland with a BA in Media Studies, and an MA in Film Production from Sheffield Hallam University, Garret embarked on a radio career that included the likes of Radio Kerry, LMFM and RTE Lyric FM.
From there he moved to freelance producing and has since produced the likes of The Tubridy Show, The Gerry Ryan Show, Dave Fanning and John Creedon. He is also a PPI award-winning producer and his radio documentaries have received wide acclaim.
His extensive documentary and television career includes the award-winning film Who is Dervla Murphy?, which focused on the unique Irish travel writer and has screened internationally. He has directed a series for TV3, produced a number of broadcast documentaries and short films, directed the RTÉ Storyland series Rental Boys, and has received a number of awards for his film and television work.
His latest work is the historical drama A Nightingale Falling, the first fiction feature from Mixed Bag Media, which he has co-directed and co-produced with his company partner Martina McGlynn. The film is due for release later in 2014.
- June 4, 2014 Tips: 5 Tips on Scriptwriting
- October 8, 2013 From the Archive: What do you do with actors?
- June 26, 2014 Tips: Documentary making
- January 17, 2014 Tips: 10 Tips For Young Directors
- January 7, 2014 Tips: 5 Steps in Creating a Film Marketing Campaign
- October 15, 2013 From the Archive: Five Ways To Kill Your Script
- May 15, 2013 DSLR Filmmaking Tips
- February 13, 2014 Tips: The Art of Getting Cast, by Nick McGinley
- February 6, 2014 Tips: 5 Tips for Aspiring Screenwriters
- February 25, 2014 Tips: The Viral Conundrum
Category: Exclusives, Featured, Tips