World Premiere of Rouzbeh Rashidi & Maximilian Le Cain’s
Weird Weird Movie Kids Do Not Watch The Movie
Alan Lambert’s The End Of The Earth Is My Home
presented for the first time with a live score by European Sensoria Band
Filmbase, Curved Street, Temple Bar, Dublin 2, Wednesday August 7th, 7pm, €7
Weird Weird Movie Kids Do Not Watch The Movie is the latest collaboration between Rouzbeh Rashidi and Maximilian Le Cain. This hypnotic, visually and sonically immersive exploration of a haunted space unfolds in two parts. In the first, a woman (Eadaoin O’Donoghue) dissolves her identity into the ghostly resonances she finds in the rooms and corridors of a sprawling, atmospheric seaside basement property. In the second, a man (Rashidi), existing in a parallel dimension of the same space, pursues a bizarre and perverse amorous obsession.
Set in a futuristic Asia of the mind, The End Of The Earth Is My Home is a trippy, visually audacious modern fantasy that takes inspiration from the Asian Monkey King stories and Bram Stoker’s Dracula, as well as the writer/director’s own travel experiences. Although rooted in a sci-fi thriller premise, TEOTEIMH is more a sensory experience than a narrative. This special presentation of the film with live accompaniment by European Sensoria Band is therefore an ideal way of experiencing Lambert’s pulsing kaleidoscsope of shifting visual and sonic rhythms, one of the few films to explore the visionary potential of science fiction beyond the boundaries of traditional storytelling. Its international cast is headed by Junshi Murakami, Dominique Monot and Mona Gamil.
This mind-warping programme is compelling evidence of a strain of visionary experimental filmmaking currently thriving beneath the surface of contemporary Irish cinema.
For more information on the directors:
- October 28, 2015 Review: Pushtar
- February 19, 2015 Irish Experimental Film
- May 28, 2013 Interview: Alan Lambert, writer and director of ‘The End Of The Earth Is My Home’
- March 24, 2015 ‘Ten Years in the Sun’
- February 16, 2015 Experimental Film Society: Maximilian Le Cain
- March 15, 2019 ‘The End Of The Earth Is My Home’ Screens in UK
- May 23, 2016 IFI Irish Focus: Experimental Filmmaker Maximilian Le Cain on ‘Cloud of Skin’
- August 30, 2017 Projections de films expérimentaux de Vicky Langan et Maximilian Le Cain
- January 23, 2013 Digital Biscuit: ‘Side by Side’ screening and Live Talk: The Digital Direction
- November 3, 2016 ‘Trailers’ in Cork Film Festival