Priest (Brendan Gleeson) in Calvary
Principal photography has begun in Co. Sligo, Ireland, on John Michael McDonagh’s CALVARY, his follow-up to the critical and commercial hit, The Guard.
Starring Brendan Gleeson (The Guard, In Bruges), Chris O’Dowd (Bridesmaids), Kelly Reilly (Sherlock Holmes, Eden Lake), Aidan Gillen (Game of Thrones, Shadow Dancer), Dylan Moran (Run Fat Boy Run, Shaun of the Dead), Marie Josée Crozé (The Diving Bell and The Butterfly, Tell No One) and Isaach De Bankolé (The Limits of Control, Casino Royale), the blackly comic drama also features a host of other well know Irish actors including Domhnall Gleeson (Anna Karenina, True Grit), Pat Shortt and David Wilmot.
Calvary’s Priest is the flipside to The Guard’s Sergeant Gerry Boyle. A good man intent on making the world a better place, he is continually shocked and saddened by the spiteful and confrontational inhabitants of his small country town. After being threatened during confession, he must battle the dark forces closing in around him.
Director and writer John Michael McDonagh commented, It is with great excitement, bordering on tumescence, that I am looking forward to collaborating once more with Ireland’s greatest actor, Brendan Gleeson, and working with the finest ensemble cast ever assembled in the history of Irish cinema.
‘I would like to thank the Irish Film Board, and the BFI, for their continuing support for filmmaking that seeks to escape from the tiresome, rarefied confines of Dublin 4. Up the West!’
Calvary is produced by Chris Clark and Flora Fernandez Marengo of Reprisal Films and James Flynn of Octagon Films.
Heads of Department on the production include Mark Geraghty (Ripper Street, In America) as Production Designer, and Eimer Ni Mhaoldomhnaigh (The Guard, Becoming Jane) as Costume Designer. The Director of Photography is Larry Smith (The Guard, Eyes Wide Shut).
Calvary will be filmed on location in Co. Sligo and Co. Dublin.
It is being co-financed by The Irish Film Board and the BFI Film Fund.
Protagonist Pictures are handling international sales for the film. Deals are already concluded for Canada (Alliance Momentum), Australia/ New Zealand (Transmission), Middle East (Front Row) and CIS (CP Digital).
Calvary is due for theatrical release in 2013 and will be distributed by Momentum Pictures in the UK and Ireland.
- July 7, 2011 -- The Guard
- January 19, 2012 -- Rebecca Daly, Chris O’Dowd, John Michael McDonagh and Emmett J. Scanlan nominated for this year’s Rising Star Award
- July 12, 2011 -- 'The Guard' is number 1 at Irish box office
- February 2, 2011 -- 'The Guard’ Sundance World Premiere
- July 25, 2011 -- ‘The Guard’ K.O.s Transformers, Kung Fu Panda and the X-Men
- December 16, 2011 -- Irish among Golden Globe Nominations
- August 22, 2011 -- 'The Guard' at the centre of Sarajevo Storm
- August 16, 2011 -- Brendan Gleeson Q&A in The Guardian
- July 9, 2013 -- From the Archive: Interview with Brendan Gleeson and writer/director director John Michael McDonagh on ‘The Guard’.
- November 26, 2013 -- Chris O’Dowd’s ‘Moone Boy’ Wins Emmy